the wrong side of the bed

Friday, July 09, 2004

who are you, peter parker?

my apartment was shown again this afternoon (and will be again tomorrow morning), and i decided that i would go see Spider-Man 2, as a treat for myself, during that time. my friends out there will know that i am a big fan of comic books, but mostly of the alternative kind. i do, however, love the X-Men. don't ask me why (or do, i may post about it later), but those mutants just pull at my heartstrings as if i was a fat, 13-year-old boy. anyway, despite my lack of familiarity with Spider-Man comic books, i really loved the first movie. it's a nice story, even if the Green Goblin was a little over the top. my friend sean warned me that the story wasn't great, but he said that he would see the movie again just to see Doctor Octopus one more time. i have to confess that after seeing the film, Doctor Octopus really left me wanting. i mean, he's cool and all, but i buy his tentacles even less than i buy Spidey's radioactive spider bite. as for the story itself, well, peter parker's struggles with balancing school, job, family, romance, and crime fighting were interesting, but i found it harder to imagine myself in his skin this time around. that's the joy of superheros, right? that you can see yourself in their place? maybe i'm wrong. but, what if awkward, anxiety prone, chubby, stupid dorotha woke up one day with the ability to, oh, control the minds of all newts and salamanders in the world. wouldn't you cheer for me? because secretly, just like you, newtgirl is the underdog. and isn't it somehow liberating, just for a second, to think that like her, you too could overcome your regular jane ways and fight injustice with a legion of amphibians at your back?

by Spider-Man 2, i already know i am not Spider-Man. i know he could get the girl. i know he can beat the bad guy. i know he can work hard and overcome the guilt over uncle ben's death. he's a popular kid now. sorry, peter.

um... p.s. find out which x-men character you are! me? i'm professor xavier. i guess that means i have to finish my phd. unless you think he's got one of those honorary doctorates...

professor x
You are Professor X!

You are a very effective teacher, and you are very
committed to those who learn from you. You put
your all into everything you do, to some extent
because you fear failure more than anything
else. You are always seeking self-improvement,
even in areas where there is nothing you can do
to improve.


Which X-Men character are you most like?
brought to you by Quizilla
4:03 PM

7 Comments:

well your's fits you good, but mine? why wolverine? why, dorotha, why?
Blogger Rebekah Ravenscroft-Scott, at 5:04 PM  
you know, eddie, when wolverine found out that he was wolverine, i'm sure he was pretty upset by it, too. you just need a little time to adjust to the retractable claws.
Blogger dorotha, at 5:39 PM  
I got to be Storm, which is way cool because she was always my favorite X-.... person? let's say X-MEN character. I think she was way too watered down in the movies. She could really kick some butt and she didn't have a "softer side" like Halle Berry, not that I remember anyway. Weaknesses and blind spots, maybe, but no softness. Not that I remember anyway. Of course, that was, um, twenty-one years ago that I spent two summers reading the comics, so, I could be very very wrong.

Jeez, whose blog is this anyway? SOrry to ramble on so much. I can see Sir Edwin as Wolverine before I can see Dorotha as Prof X. No offense to either of you.
Blogger birdfarm, at 5:48 PM  
I am Rogue. Of course I am Rogue!

What? No, i have no idea what that means.
Blogger Ang, at 6:04 PM  
i don't know, ang. you seem pretty rougish to me. i've often thought you would look good with a streak of white in your hair. just consider it.

while we are at it, which otter pop stereotype, ahem, i mean character do you think you are? i'm gonna have to go with louie (aka louie-bloo raspberry).
Blogger dorotha, at 6:11 PM  
I'm Cyclops? Attractive and strong in a boy scout republican sort of way? I refuse to buy this. I am not prone to conflict! I hate you, X-Men quiz.
Blogger Vicky Simpleton, at 7:25 PM  
I was forced to take the this test. I am also Professor X. I have no idea what this means. It's something about Captain Picard. And being good and responsible. But I think that just means you're An Older Sister.
Blogger Belle Reve, at 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment