the wrong side of the bed

Monday, April 17, 2006

why i am not pagan

last year, my mother and i had a ridiculous "argument" about easter. i told her it was my least favorite holiday because it had almost no meaning for me. i don't believe in god, so what do i care about jesus being resurrected? i like christmas because it is fun to give people presents. i like thanksgiving because i love eating and i love winter squash (we always have acorn squash with a pat of butter and some brown sugar). i can handle the one day holidays that are more secular, even though they generally celebrate war, because i get a day off. but easter's got nothing for me. i can eat chocolate whenever i want, and i do. i'm not a big fan of eggs. i'm not gonna eat a lamb. i just don't know why i should care.

"but, dorotha," my mother says, "it is really a pagan holiday!"
"mother," i counter, "we aren't pagan either!"

anyway, in addition to the fact that my grandfather had emergency surgery to get a pacemaker yesterday, i have another reason to dislike easter.

i was egged.

i was walking to jon's house last night. halfway there, someone threw an egg at me from their apartment window. the sad part was that on saturday when i walked to jon's house, i noticed that there were broken eggs outside of that apartment. obviously, someone had spent their free moments this weekend throwing eggs out of their window at those who passed by.

because i am ridiculous, i had to fight the urge to scream at their window, "i hope those are free range eggs!" well, i do. i would hate to think that chickens were being mistreated so that some deranged college student could toss eggs out his or her* window.

anyway, i don't think egging is a christian tradition. could this be a pagan rite?

* yeah, like it was really a girl.
8:29 AM

2 Comments:

People sort of suck.

I also don't have much use for Easter. First of all, I don't like Peeps. I know, I know, that's crazy and all, but they're icky. And probably not vegetarian even if I *did* like them.

But now I have a new complaint: Around here, everything is closed on Easter Sunday, INCLUDING TARGET. Target! A major retail chain! I drove all the way to St. George out of boredome to hang out with a friend and go to Target, and we couldn't even go. Also the entire mall was closed except Sears.

I was decidedly unimpressed.
Blogger Gwen, at 12:37 PM  
connie and i were going to go to Target, too, because it is my happy place. but even in madison, it is closed on easter sunday.
Blogger dorotha, at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment