the wrong side of the bed

Monday, May 28, 2007

different from me

when sean and i were dating, i am embarrassed to admit, i was sometimes unreasonable in my expectations. i would become incensed if he told me the same story twice. this seems especially unfair given that, now, i cannot remember anything and repeat my own stories quite often. it does make it easier on the people around me because my forgetfulness makes everything they tell me all brand new.

i was also often shocked at the way that sean did things. usually the way he washed dishes or how loudly he left at television shows - the kinds of things you might pick up from your family. i tried not to be judgmental, but this has always been a challenge for me. my solution was to acknowledge a difference and then let it go. this didn't work because the label was a judgment.

i have a plant that i consider quite ugly. i want it out of my life. it isn't dead and i don't want to make it die. i neglect it horribly as it requires a great deal of water, but i always rescue it from the brink. today i emailed sean pictures of the beastly plant. he does not think it is so bad.

9:32 PM

4 Comments:

Tell them the name of the plant, Dorotha. When it is named, all is forgiven.
Blogger Constance, at 11:36 PM  
I have a plant that I also cannot get out of my life. Unlike yours however, it is dead. It has hung in my apartment for almost five years, the last two+ of which, it has been dead. A friend once threatened to have an intervention with me regarding my dead plant, but that never occurred and the plant remains hung from my ceiling in my living room. Every once in awhile I consider throwing it out, but the truth is, I am rather fond of it now that it no longer requires my attentions.
Blogger seven, at 1:37 PM  
Why don't you clip the healthy pieces, and root them. (Put them in water).

Then when you transplant, you can have a healthy plant once again. I'm guessing that what you don't like about it is it looks scraggly and unhealthy. But Sean is right. Parts are doing fine. Reroot it. Then, you can even give it away at the beginning, before it starts growing again and looks straggly. I do this alot with "climbing" plants.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:36 PM  
smart! i will do that. you know, i have actually done this before, but never got to the step of planting the cuttings again.
Blogger dorotha, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment